Saturday, April 9, 2011

Only One Week Left!

I can't believe it's already coming up.  When I started training I had very serious doubts that I would actually do this! Of course, I had good reason to doubt, I've been talking about running for three years now and each time I let something get in the way, some legitimate reasons, some not. Now, I'm trying not to jump ahead, I still have one more week of training (which mean one more week for you to help raise money for CAPSA, any amount helps, here's the link) and then comes the actual race, but I've come this far, I'm not going to quit now.
That said, I did have a minor hiccup or two in the training today.  A few forces of nature combined to make the planned 3.5 mile run just a little too difficult for me.
This is what spring looks like at my house
Even though it snowed all morning, I decided to give it my best effort(though not without waiting until the last possible moment to head out the door, I was really hoping it would stop.)  As I took off, I felt pretty good.  I was trying my last increase, half-mile run quarter-mile walk.  I will say this, running for half a mile wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but it took more time than I would have liked.  By the time I reached the second running interval, my glasses were completely fogged over and specked with snow/rain.
I couldn't see a thing and running was becoming hazardous.  Not only would it be difficult to see bumps in the road, but cars as well.  The snow covered the sidewalks so I ran in the road, something I don't like to do anyway and now my life was even more at risk. Or at least, that's what I told myself when I decided to call it a day.  By the end of the run, I traveled roughly 2 miles.  This is what I do on a weekday, so I felt somewhat satisfied.  Just a quick peek of what I looked like after mother nature had her laugh at me.
Looks like I'm covered with sweat, right?  Wrong, it's just the
"Spring" weather getting to me.


So with my new readers, I've notice a lot of you are runners and I have a question, what do you do the night before a race?  Anything special the day of?  I know for marathons there are all sorts of tips and rituals people do, is there anything for a 5k?

Side note:  I got to meet Deni from this season of Biggest Loser.  She looks amazing and seems to be just as sweet in person.   I'm still kicking myself for not getting a picture but since I just randomly ran into her I didn't want to take too much of her time.

Stats:
Distance
2.04
Mi.
Duration
30:44
Avg. Pace
15:04
Avg Speed
3.98
mph

Splits

IntervalsPace (min/mi)Elevation (ft)
5:00 (warmup)15:20-0
0.50 mi (fast)12:582
0.25 mi (slow)15:49-2
0.50 mi (fast)14:430
0.25 mi (slow)17:231
5:00 (cooldown)16:51-2


1 comment: