Monday, April 18, 2011

Moving on

*big cheesy announcer voice, "Liz, you've just finished your very first 5k! What are going to next?"
"Ummm......."  
*crickets chirping*

Well, I guess it's time for new plan.  Don't worry, I'm not going to stop, just reaching one goal isn't enough.  I need to keep moving to get to my marathon and ultimately great physical health.  I've been toying with two ideas to keep me running.
-Just go out and run my basic 30 minute path three days a week. Not bad, but really? No major progress.
-Focus on increasing my running time until I can run the full 30 minutes.  I like this one.  

I've noticed if I don't have a specific plan to push myself I kind of stagnate, or even slide backwards. Not a good idea with a marathon in mind.   My husband nearly had to push me out the door today becuase, quite simply, I didn't have a plan.  I went, though the gps wasn't working with the weather.  As near I can calculate, I went 1.34 miles(I ran a path I've done before so I would know how far it was) at a 14:30 pace.  I need something to keep me going.  The next step for me is to run a 10k.  I think I've found a running plan I like.  It's thirteen weeks long with walk break incorporated, I just need to implement it. 

Now I need to decide which race I want to run (or maybe I can do them both?)  The first is the Pink Series on August 6.  It's right here in my hometown and to be perfectly honest, they have some awesome swag.  There is also a more personal reason for this particular race, it benefits the Utah Cancer Resource and Education for Women.  Cancer is a scary thing, and having it in the family really makes you appreciate and resources there are.  

The other race also has a personal significance, though not quite so poignant.  My best friend and her family have been in charge of the drink booth at the Midway Swiss Days pretty much forever.  Each year, Labor Day weekend,  they hold a 10k.  I remember my first year there I heard about the race and thought, "I would never be able to do that, those people are crazy."  Now I'm one of the crazy people and it would be such a victory for me to complete something I one thought impossible.

I have a little bit of time to decide around two weeks;)  I suppose I could train to run in August and then run them both. I just need to find a way to pay for my "running habit."  Those entrance fees can add up quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks so much for the sweet comments on my blog. That's so funny about how we were the opposite on the zumba/running thing. I want to do a marathon one day, too. Congrats on your first 5K and good luck with your upcoming 10K! You can do it! I just competed in my first one this past weekend. Just keep training and you can do it. I am excited to follow you in your journey to a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do a 10K!! I didn't even really train for mine, and I finished. Keep up the hard work, no matter what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those both sound like fun options! Good luck with the new training plan.

    ReplyDelete