Saturday, March 5, 2011

5k Training: Day Three

Today was my first big run.  Up to now, I've been running in one minute sprints.  Frequent breaks made it easy for me to keep going because I knew I only had to run for a little amount of time.  Not so today.  Instead of the one minute sprints, I ran 1/4 mile pieces.  I only went one mile which meant two running intervals.  I was nervous, a quarter mile seemed daunting.  I reminded myself over and over that I would also have the same amount to recover at a walking speed.  After a five minute warm-up, I began my first interval.  My legs immediately began to protest, as they've done each time I asked so much of them. I kept going, pushing, running and slowly they loosened up, moving in time with the music beating in my ears.  Before I knew it, I had finished my first interval.  It felt good, but I was very glad I had time before I had to run again.  All too soon, the bells chimed indicating the time to push myself had come again.  This times was harder.  My legs just didn't seem to want to respond.  After less than half my interval they slowed, almost involuntarily, to a walk. A sense of defeat washed over my and I began to cry.  
Yes.  I cried.  I felt a failure take over my mind.  I didn't want to quit.  I want to do this.  I seized on that thought.  Not, I can do this.  Just I WANT to run.  Picking up my feet one at a time, I focused on the music again.  I moved quickly for a bit, then felt the power drain once again.  Instead of feeling defeat this time, I simply allowed myself the break.  I let the walk last the distance of one house.  One house only and then I ran again.  This time, I finished.  The bells chimed for my final walking interval.  After a five minute cooldown, I was done.  I made it through my first run. Barely, but I HAD finished.  Giving up, at times, seems the easiest thing to do.  I've done it before, I've made all my plans and then decided they were too hard.  This time, however, I am going to finish what I start.  If I have to take little breaks along the way, if I don't quite make my goals, at least I will finish. And...I will be much further along than if I had never made the goal at all.

Stats:
Distance
1.63
Mi.
Duration
24:48
Avg. Pace
15:15
Avg Speed
3.93
mph


IntervalsPace (min/mi)Elevation (ft)
5:00 (warmup)15:142
0.25 mi (fast)12:54-0
0.25 mi (slow)16:25-2
0.25 mi (fast)13:072
0.25 mi (slow)16:010
5:00 (cooldown)17:18-2
   

No comments:

Post a Comment