Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Just a taste...

Well, today I have to eat a little bit of humble pie.  Last week I was thinking about my running, and how I haven't had any injuries so far and and never missed a planned run.  Man I felt good.  I even had the thought, "You are doing good!  You'll never have an injury or have to take a rest."  Yeah, today I am eating those words.  While I'm not really "injured" (translation, no professional has told me I am,) my left knee and ankle have been extra sore.  Hard to go from sitting to standing sore.  And so today, I must take a break.  I don't want to really hurt myself so instead of my planned 35 minute run, I am sitting at home with a plan to ice my knee and use my new Pro-Tec massager to *hopefully* work out some of the kinks.  If all goes well, that will be all I need and I'll be back on the road Thursday.  If it doesn't, well, we'll just have to wait and see.
Source

In other news, we bought Big D a new pair of running shoes today.  For some reason the $20 discount store shoes just weren't cutting it.  He fought me on it a bit, but today I managed to drag him into the local running store (I had to get my new massager, right?) First thing I did was make him sit down with the employer.  It didn't take long for Big D to agree that this was a good idea.  Twenty minutes, and several pairs of shoes later, he found the perfect match.   As we walked out the door, he says, "I'm really excited to run my 5k!"  Yeah, that's the first time I've heard those words.  He said he'd run with me, but had basically been talking himself out of it since day one of training.  It's amazing what a new pair of REAL running shoes will do.  If anyone out there has debated the money, and whether they really are THAT different than any old athletic shoe I just have to say: They are soooo worth it.  Not only do you save yourself on some aches and pains(not all, but some), but you may find that you truly enjoy running!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope you are feeling better soon. And great job getting him real running shoes.They make SUCH a difference. :) I hope the massager stick and ice help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good running shoes are so nice, but also VERY important! You will avoid sooo many aches, pains, and injuries by running on GOOD shoes. They are worth the extra $$ because you don't spend that $ in the doctor's office...WAY TO GO, GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete