Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Are you an under, over, or neutral?

Pronater, that is.   I did some high tech research, took hours evaluating and studying....Ok really, I just searched "over pronate" on the internet and I actually under pronate.  There is a super easy way to tell which one you are, just look at the wear on an old pair of shoes.  I actually found these two great videos that explain what is happening when you run, how to tell, and what kind of shoes you should get based on your gait.





So why all this talk about the way I run?  Well, it's time for new shoes.  Again.  I didn't realize how quickly I would go through a pair of shoes, especially since I just went and bought the cheapest pair.  At Kohls.  Without talking to ANYONE who runs.  Or even looking at my old pair of shoes.  I know, I know.  I'm still getting used to the idea of spending $100+ on a pair of shoes.  At least they were Asics.  I took the easy way out.  Or so I thought.


You see, lately I've been having quite a bit of trouble with my ankle.  It's weird because I've actually cut back on my mileage.  Then one day I looked at my shoes.  The soles are completely worn down on the outer edge.  I under-pronate.  But, to make matters worse, I bought a shoe for OVER-pronating.  Not good.  They are correcting a problem I never had, and making the one I do have worse.  So I'm looking for some new shoes that are neutral.  I'm thinking New Balance, mostly because that was my first pair of running shoes and I love them!  However, I do want some advice, are there any other under-pronaters out there?  What shoes do you recommend?  Don't worry, I'll be going to my local running store as well, I'm just curious about your experiences.

3 comments:

  1. I love wearing asics. I too underpronate and I am looking for a new pair myself. Thought I would try the barefoot shoes but my IT band wont tolerate them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I wouldn't go into the store stuck on any one brand. Just let them do a gait analysis and try on a few different pairs. You may find that one pair just feels better.

    I've had nike and saucony, and I think I like saucony better. My husband found mizuno fit his feet best because they're narrow. Different shoes and brands are just better for different people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how I got here but Asics had specific shoes for pronating issues :0)

    ReplyDelete