Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An early morning run...

I miss Arizona sunrises.  
I really could get used to this!  The alarm went off at 6:00....I almost didn't get up but my husband rolled over and, "That was your alarm honey."  I guess I needed to get up.  It took me a while to get change and wipe the sleep from my eyes, but it was worth it.  I stepped out the door into a brisk 50 degree weather and was excited!   I really focused on my form and, since I wasn't worn out from a full day yet, I was able to keep a good pace.  My breathing was in check and my legs didn't hurt at all! I've been testing out something new as well.  I'm a huge music fan. I've mentioned before how it keeps my pace steady and that, well, I just love it.  The problem, I've just been too lazy to find more good music and my long runs outlast my current playlist by about 15 minutes.  Enter, Old-Time Radio shows.  I LOVE them.  I decided to give it a chance, listen to stories while I run and see if it works.  Answer:  It does.  The first time was a little slow because I kept listening to the story and not running.  Now, I'm able to listen to the story and keep moving.  The shows last just the length of my run.  So, a quick murder mystery and I was back home.  It felt sooo good to be done and it was only seven in the morning.  After a quick stretch, I made breakfast for the family and hopped in the shower while Big D got the girls up and fed them.  By eight I was all ready for the day and I wouldn't have to worry about squeezing in my run later.  Such a good feeling.
I'm finally getting back to my "normal" pace of roughly a 14:00/mile and it feels good.  My 5k is coming up on saturday and I'm just starting to get the pre-race jitters.  I'm excited but I really want to PR on this one.  The past two weeks haven't been encouraging in that respect but today helped.  I decided I need to make a few goals this time around, other than to finish.

1. Start off slow-During my first 5k I took off way too fast.  I was pumped up and running with people much quicker than I am.  Though I did make my time goal, I ended up walking for roughly a mile to recover from it. This time, it's slow and steady.

2.  Stick to my 5/1 plan-Only run during that five minutes, no matter how much more I think I can do.  It is still 3 miles.

3.  PR-I finished my first race in 42:35.  My goal is under 42 minutes.  Completely feasible since that is my pace for training runs.  Honestly, I'll be happy with anything around that number, but I would love a new personal record.

Only three more days and run more run before the big day!  I've been so focused on my 10k I've almost let my preparation for this one pass by...Well, I'll keep you updated on my outfit(probably quite similar to the last one) and my playlist.

Stats:

Distance
2.41
Mi.
Duration
34:00
Avg. Pace
14:12
Avg Speed
4.22
mph



IntervalsPace (min/mi)Elevation (ft)
5:00 (warmup)15:468
5:00 (fast)12:502
1:00 (slow)17:441
5:00 (fast)13:163
1:00 (slow)18:37-1
5:00 (fast)13:09-4
1:00 (slow)15:50-1
5:00 (fast)13:17-4
1:00 (slow)14:081
5:00 (cooldown)15:57-4

1 comment: