Sunday, July 10, 2011

A few of my rambling thoughts...

So vacations do a number on my blog posts.  I don't have a laptop yet and I'm kind of partial to my own computer.  Between that and just recovering from the trip, it takes me a while to get back into writing.  That said, I try very hard not to let the trips interfere with my running plans.  Last Saturday I was able to get my five miler in before we left for vacation which was a very good thing (it was my only run for the weekend.)  After I ran, I didn't stretch as long as I usually do.  Big mistake, especially with some long hours in the car coming up.  We drove two hours down to Big D's parents for a baby blessing (something we do in my church not long after a child is born) Then four and a half hours up to my parents to spend the fourth there.  I had planned to get up Monday morning and run because we were planning on driving back home tuesday morning.  It was the only time I would be able to get it in.  When the alarm went off, I could barely stand as I got out of bed.  My muscles were soooo tight and I was sore everywhere.  We were going to the local Lions Club breakfast and when my legs finally warmed up enough that I felt I could go, it was time to leave.
So, scratch that run.

The fourth was an amazing day though.  We had the breakfast and then my brother took us out on his boat for a few hours.  When we came home, we got a dessert ready for the family BBQ and headed back out.  I love spending time with my family.  We are all sooo spread out that I rarely get to see them.  I'm the youngest of 12 which means I have lots of nieces and nephews and even a few of them have children.  My siblings are spread from Alaska to Virginia so any chance I get to see my family, I try to take it, even if it's less than half the family.  We played in the pool and visited for a while until it was time for the fireworks.  As the first rockets lit the sky, little M turns to me, very excited, and says, "STARS!"  For those of you who don't know, she was born profoundly deaf in both ears.  At one year, she received bi-lateral cochlear implants.  For her to not only make the connection between the bright lights and her favorite shape, but to also come up with the word on her own is a miracle.  My little girl knows what a star is, and can attach the correct word to that shape spontaneously.  It's amazing.  Now, why do I share this?  It doesn't really have anything to do with running does it?
There are so many reasons I began running, many of them are for my benefit.  I needed to take better care of myself, I needed some me time, I needed something that was mine.  I-I-I  Yet, as I listened to my little girl speak one simple word that we had spent so much time trying to teach her, I realized how much my example will affect her.  I want so much for both my girls.  I want them to enjoy learning, appreciate music, be kind.  But one thing that is so important to me, is that they learn how to care for their bodies.  I want them to have strong hearts, to keep the energy that bubbles out of them right now.  I want them to be healthy and happy.  In order for them to learn that, they need an example.  That is one of the many reasons why I run.  Yes there are still all of those other reasons, I love the fact that I was able to go six miles yesterday.  I can't wait for my first 10k in just four short weeks.  But even more,  I love when we go for a walk.  Little M takes my hand, plants her feet, says, "Ready, Set, Go!" and we run together just as fast as her little legs can carry her.  Then she finishes, laughing and giggling, ready to go again.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to run with your little girl :)

    How did you get your ticker factory ticker on your blog? I can't figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the six miles, and YES! You are are setting an awesome example for your daughter and for everyone else. Be proud! :)

    ReplyDelete