Wednesday, July 13, 2011

An amazing woman

Meet my mom


She is a mother of twelve, has spent years serving in various callings(jobs) in our church, including roughly ten years with the womens organization.  She cooks the most amazing food, can sew just about anything, including my wedding dress, volunteers at the local library, visits anyone who just needs a listening ear.  She taught me almost everything I know.  Literally, I was home-schooled.  Her entire life has been an example of love and service. Now, she and my dad are going to serve a two-year mission for my church.  They are simply wonderful people.  

When I was in high school, she was having problems with her hips.  It was painful for her to move, let alone walk up and down the 16 or so steps that led to our upper floor.  The doctors recommended that she have her hip replaced.  After a bit of convincing, she finally had the surgery and has been doing great.  Those of you that have read my back story, know that a mission in my church requires a LOT of walking.  A LOT!  Well, my amazing mom has been getting up everyday to walk two miles just so she will be prepared.  A few weeks ago, I decided to call and ask her if she would walk a 5k with me.  She thought about it for a minute...then said, "Yes.  I can probably do that." 

Well, that was two weeks ago.  Last week when we were there, she told me she had walked her first ever three miles!  She was so tired at the end she wasn't sure if she could finish.  There were some neighbors out that she wanted to talk to but she knew if she stopped then she wouldn't make the last few blocks.  So my amazing mom pushed through the fatigue and finished!  I am so proud of her.  She did it and I can't wait to walk across a finish line with the woman who has always been my inspiration and example.  She is the reason I am who I am today. I only hope that I can be as determined and dedicated as she.  I love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment